Final Poster Comic: Bobby Brown

This project definitely came as more of a challenge to me, not only because I struggled to come up with a story for my comic, but also because of my lack of experience with Illustrator. When it was all said and done however, I was pleased with how it turned out.

My final poster project I created in Illustrator.

I tried to challenge my readers traditional method of reading left-to-right and top-to-bottom, but not enough that people are unable to follow it. While it wasn’t my original plan, I ended up having text boxes in basically every panel, and that alone definitely helps guide the reader through it. An example of closure from my comic would most likely be while the note is trying to travel to the oasis. The split-panel before he finds the oasis is designed to make the reader question how long it is before he actually gets back up to keep looking. I believe it best fits the description of scene-to-scene closure. My comic describes the passage of time both by the scene changes, and by the text boxes that are located at the top and bottoms of the panels.

This was my first time using Illustrator, and I feel that it shows. While I spent the time watching the tutorials provided by Adobe, I felt that I struggled understanding how to work in vector based workspace. The concept of creating shapes using different lines was difficult at first, and I’m still not super confident when it comes to creating them. When it came to choosing/creating an iconography for my comic, I wanted to lean towards a more minimalist style, both because I felt it would work well for my story, and because I was nervous to start adding lots of detail into shapes that were going to be resized many different times. Working with Illustrator was fun and inspirational at times, but when I started to get carried away with ideas, I found that I was unable to actually create them and bring the idea to fruition. Some of the most useful tools and techniques from the tutorials were learning the pen and anchor point tools, as well as the Pathfinder panel. The pen and anchor point tools were extremely important and useful when it came to creating both custom shapes and drawing the art for my panels. When it came time to actually combine the art I’d drawn into a custom shape, the Pathfinder panel along with the “unite” shape modes helped me make shapes that I could move around easily.

Overall, I found this project to be significantly more challenging than the Photoshop project, but I enjoyed it and felt that I completed my poster to the best of my ability. I would like to spend more time in Illustrator getting my bearings, then I feel like I would be able to push my artistic abilities a bit further.

This entry was posted in 201 Blog, Final Poster Comic. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s